Chicken salad, it’s one of my favorite things to enjoy for a quick-lunch or to entertain a group with. There are many great versions of this classic. I think that I’ve created a pretty amazing recipe. The sweet burst of the grapes, the tang of the cider vinegar and the bite of the shallot add a great flavor and texture. Nestled in a leaf of crisp bibb lettuce, or piled between two layers of buttery croissant, I hope you’ll enjoy this made by mike original.
Also, be sure to check out my suggested chicken-salad-making playlist. Who doesn’t need some great tunes to enjoy while cooking in the kitchen? It follows right after the recipe below.
Mike’s Ultimate Chicken Salad
- 1 rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 4 ounces of swiss cheese, diced
- 1 cup of red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Remove the breasts from the cooked rotisserie chicken. Remove the skin from the breasts. Cut the white meat into one inch chunks and add to a large mixing bowl. Reserve the dark meat for another recipe or make your dog very happy by adding it to his or her food bowl.
Add the shallot, swiss cheese, grapes, apple and almonds to the chicken. Toss gently.
In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken mixture and toss well. Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld and get to know one another. If you can wait a day, it’s even better. Best of luck with that.
Suggested playlist to make chicken salad to:
- Another Day – Jamie Lidell
- Seattle – The BPA
- Song for No One – Miike Snow
- Heard It On the Radio – The Bird and the Bee
- This Is Your Life – The Killers
- Can’t Go Back Now – The Weepies
- For Your Love – Marching Band
- Kandi – One eskimO
- Madly – Tristan Prettyman
- Somewhere Only We Know – Keane
- Lovers In Japan / Reign of Love – Coldplay
- Under the Influence – James Morrison