Today was supposed to be an Everyday Food Challenge post. The one about the potato and ham bake. But you know, sometimes cravings just get in the way.
There are few sweet treats that I love more than chocolate covered pretzels and good old-fashioned Rice Crispy Treats. How’s about if I combined them into one square of chocolaty-crunchy goodness. I kind of think that I did just that on Monday night. Yes…on a Monday night. A night that is normally filled with the dread of just completing the first of many successive days at work. A night that’s all about “couch time” and longingly looking back at the just finished weekend. But this Monday I set out to create a treat worthy of sharing with you, my amazingly loyal readers. I give to you the Dark Chocolate and Pretzel Crispy Treat, a made by mike original.
Dark Chocolate and Pretzel Crispy Treats
Makes 16 delightful squares of goodness.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows (10.5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups of broken thin pretzel sticks
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with the cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with two crossed sheets of parchment paper with a 2-inch overhang on each side. I like to use small binder clips to keep the paper in place. Set the pan aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, marshmallows and dark cocoa. Cook over medium heat until the mixture has combined and melted. Stir in the rice cereal and broken pretzel sticks. Stir until all the rice and pretzels are coated with the chocolate and marshmallow mixture.
- Turn out the mixture into the prepared pan. Using a piece of waxed paper, press the mixture into an even layer.
- Spread melted semisweet chocolate in an even layer on top of the rice and pretzel mixture.
- Let cool until the chocolate hardens then cut into 16 squares.