It’s a very special Five Senses Friday today. It all revolves around just one day, instead of the usual week. Today I was able to mark off another item on my 37 Things List, #33 canoe. I confessed to Greg this morning that the whole reason the list existed was to get to canoe. I hadn’t done it since High School. Just recently, Kent State University started a program called Crooked River Adventures. We canoed from Kent down the Cuyahoga River about 4.5 miles to Munroe Falls. The first half was shady and lovely. The second half was a bit more challenging. Evidently, the river is a bit low right now. We found ourselves getting out of the canoe and pushing it a bit in the very shallow areas.
So that’s the introduction. Here now is my Five Senses Friday – Canoe Edition:
- Seeing: the ladies in the canoe in front of us struggling down the river. We tried to do just the opposite of everything that they did. For the most part, that worked well for us. Amazing Race here we come…
- Tasting: our reward for the day, a late lunch at Marie’s Restaurant in Wadsworth. The pizza was fantastic.
- Hearing: the trains on the nearby railroad tracks, the birds in the trees, the paddles dipping in and out of the water. Float On by Modest Mouse on the radio in the car on the way home from our excursion. A fun coincidence.
- Smelling: the nature all around us and the faint hint of fall in the air.
- Feeling: jubilant to be able to mark this off my list and to have shared the experience with my partner.
We (meaning mostly Greg) took many more photos with a water-proof disposable camera. I’ll share those photos once they’re developed. I can’t remember the last time I had to have film developed. In the mean time, here are a few more photos from my old shattered iPhone that still takes fairly decent photos and video. Oh, and what should I tackle next on The List? Leave your suggestions in the comment section.